BIOL 265: Ecology and Evolutionary Biology (3 credits)
Principles of ecology and evolution for life science majors stressing integrated approach and recent advance. (3 hours lecture)
Pre-Requisite(s): Credit for BIOL 171/171L and 172/172L; or one year of introductory college biology plus labs; or equivalent preparation; or consent of the instructor.
Co-Requisite(s): BIOL 265L; or consent of instructor
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the course, the student will be able to:
- Apply the appropriate terminology when describing, explaining, and applying ecological theory.
- Summarize abiotic environmental features including climate, soil and geographical structure.
- Identify the biological and physical structures of ecosystems, major biogeochemical cycles, and energy flow.
- Examine the basic principles of population dynamics including birth and mortality rates, population growth models, life history strategies, competition and carrying capacity.
- Define the interactions within communities including interspecific competition, predation, and mutualism.
- Describe the evolutionary adaptations of organisms to their environment.
- Give examples of evolutionary principles that produced unique island communities.
- Evaluate the impact of habitat alteration and destruction, loss of biodiversity, and effects of alien species.
- Interpret and produce tabular and graphical representations of information, including tables, graphs, and maps.
- Locate and critique the value of printed and online resources.
- Evaluate the consequences of population growth, increased resource use and pollution on global ecosystems.
Degrees and Certificates
For transfer information within the UH system, visit the System Transfer page
- Fall 2015 - T, 1:00pm to 3:45pm, Hale ‘Imiloa 123, Dave Krupp - CRN: 60427
- Fall 2009 - MW, 1:30pm to 2:45pm, Hale ‘Imiloa 123, Dave Krupp - CRN: 62299 - view syllabus
- Fall 2007 - MW, 5:30pm to 6:45pm, Hale ‘Imiloa 123, M Manning - CRN: 61261
- Spring 2004 - MWF, 11:30am to 12:20pm, Hale ‘Imiloa 123, Dave Krupp - CRN: 63094