ART 105B: Introduction to Ceramics-Handbuilding (3 credits)
Studio experience mainly for nonmajors. An introduction to clay as an art medium. Emphasis on basic handbuilding techniques, three-dimensional concepts in clay, glazing, decorating and firing kilns. <br/> NOTE: Art Majors: ART 105B and ART 105C must both be taken to receive equivalency at UH MÄnoa as an art elective. Liberal Arts Students: ART 105B or ART 105C will transfer to fulfill the Humanities DA core requirements. (6 hours studio)
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the course, the student will be able to:
- Demonstrate through finished ceramic objects a basic understanding of the hand building techniques.
- Comprehend and sensitively apply the visual elements of line, shape, color, texture, volume and mass and the design principles of balance, rhythm, dominance, contrast, variation and unity to the execution of ceramic objects.
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of color and color theory as it related to the use of glazes.
- Complete the creative problem-solving process from planning and discovery to implementation and evaluation.
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of drawing as a means of notation, conceptualization and visual organization.
- Demonstrate an awareness of historic and contemporary examples of ceramics.
- Begin to use the ceramic process to express personal imagery.
- Demonstrate an ability to articulate the concepts and intent of a finished ceramic piece.
Degrees and Certificates
For transfer information within the UH system, visit the System Transfer page
Fatal error: Cannot redeclare db_connect() (previously declared in E:\windward.hawaii.edu\WebRoot\Default\includes\connectdatabase.php:13) in E:\windward.hawaii.edu\WebRoot\Default\includes\connectdatabase.php on line 30