Wireless Access in the Neighborhood
- Starbucks - various locations
- Zia's Caffe - available from 11:00am to 5:00pm, 5% student discount on food with valid WCC ID card
All Windward Community College students, faculty, and staff are welcome to use the shared wireless (wifi) networks on campus.
The WiFi network is named "WCC Campus WPA2" and the password is "windward96744"
Connecting Your Computer
Before connecting your computer to the wireless network, please make sure your operating system and anti-virus software are current. If you don't have anti-virus software installed, and you are a faculty or staff member, or a student in the University of Hawaii (UH) system, you may download and install McAfee's anti-virus solution from UH. Further information can be found at http://www.hawaii.edu/askus/1254.
- Configuring Mac OS X to use the "WCC Campus WPA2" network
- Configuring Windows XP to use the "WCC Campus WPA2" network
The password for the "WCC Campus WPA2" wireless network is "windward96744"
While the wireless is broadly available on campus, the following are the primary hotspots:
- Hale Akoakoa 101/103/105/107/109 Meeting Rooms
- Hale Akoakoa 201 Conference Room
- Hale Akoakoa Student Lounge and Game Room
- Hale Akoakoa Cafeteria (also known as Kafe Koolau)
- Hale Alaka'i 118 Conference Room
- Hale A'o (formerly The White House)
- Hale ‘miloa 122 Conference Room
- Hale Kuhina 106 Conference Room
- Hale Manaleo Lobby
- Hale Mana'opono Lobby
- Math Lab (Hale Mana'opono 103)
- Hale Na'auao Lobby
- Hale Pālanakila Lobby
- Hale Pālanakila 117 Conference Room
The network also provides some coverage to adjacent rooms and nearby areas. For instance, the Imiloa 122 base station provides coverage to the Imiloa 123 classroom and most of the main Imiloa hallway.
The wireless network supports the 802.11b/g standards for connection speeds up to 54Mbps. The speed and reliability of your connection will vary depending on your distance from the wireless base station, the make of your computer and wireless cards, and the volume of network traffic from other users.
Be aware that the wireless network is not highly secure. Avoid sending or receiving confidential information over the wireless network unless you are using an application or web site that encrypts your communications. For instance, secure web sites with URLs prefaced with https:// are generally safe to use.
Please consider the "WCC Campus WPA2" network to be a work-in-progress. The network coverage and access procedures will be adjusted as necessary to address problems that may arise, and the network will evolve over time as we upgrade to new technologies and seek to improve performance and reliability. Check this page periodically for news and advance notice of upcoming wireless network changes.
The "WCC Campus WPA2" network is maintained by Computing Services (CS). Please report any problems with the wireless network to the CS HelpLine at 235-7314 or email@example.com, or by stopping by the CS office in Laakea 113.