Interested in the Veterinary Assisting and Veterinary Technology Program at Windward Community College? Please contact us at email@example.com to attend an Information Session.
Information Session Topics:
- Program costs
- Program procedures
For more information, contact John Kaya
The Certificate of Achievement in Veterinary Assisting is designed to provide students with the basic knowledge and skills required to perform effectively as an assistant in a veterinarian’s office, animal shelter or animal research facility. The two-semester program includes coursework in the physical and life sciences as well as hands-on experience through internships at local veterinary clinics.
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Effectively communicate with clients and veterinary staff.
- Perform routine business transactions and maintain patient and facility records.
- Ensure the safety of patients, clients, and staff and maintain compliance with regulatory agencies.
- Identify common breeds of companion animals, list their nutritional requirements and husbandry needs, and describe the anatomy and functions of major body systems.
- Assist with physical exams and obtain patient histories.
- Perform routine nursing procedures including first-aid, wound-management, and administration of medications and vaccines.
- Develop a working knowledge of common companion animal diseases and their medical treatments.
- Collect biological samples and perform diagnostic laboratory tests.
Windward CC has a transfer agreement with San Juan College, which offers an online Veterinary Technology AAS Degree.
For more information, visit our guide to Veterinary Studies at Windward CC.
Required Courses (31 credits)
- First Semester
- Second Semester
- As available
Other Animal Science Courses
- ANSC 190: Veterinary Assisting Internship
- ANSC 252: Diagnostic Imaging for Veterinary Technicians
- ANSC 253: Applied Pharmacology for Veterinary Technicians
- ANSC 262: Clinical Procedures for Large Animals
- ANSC 263: Laboratory Animal Procedures
- Program Cost and Employment Information
- Spotlight on the Veterinary Assistant Program posted April 27, 2009
- Veterinary Studies information page - including a list of members of the Advisory Committee