The ASC in Business is a college credential for students who have completed a specific sequence of credit courses that prepare and qualify them for transfer to a four-year college. This certificate is also designed to provide Windward Community College students with recognition of their accomplishments and to also serve as an indication to potential employers that students who have earned an ASC have specific prerequisite business skills.
This certificate consists of 24 credits. The sequence of courses required for the ASC in Business is designed to provide a foundation in accounting, economics, computer science, and written and oral communications, while also qualifying for articulation as transfer credits to four-year college business degree programs. See the college's catalog for individual course descriptions for prerequisites.
Please note that completing the sequence of required courses does not automatically qualify a student for entrance in a four-year college program. There may be other courses required by individual colleges. See your WCC counselor or check the four-year institution’s applicable program requirements or its current catalog.
Upon successful completion of this certificate, students will be able to:
- Utilize the appropriate computer applications to produce professional-level documents, including electronic spreadsheets, presentations, databases, and web pages to enhance effective communication.
- Understand and apply basic accounting skills such as recording, posting, summarizing, and interpreting financial data of an organization.
- Develop a working understanding of skills required for effective management of a business, including but not limited to communications, administrative, technical, human relations, and problem solving.
- Develop a basic understanding of ethical and moral issues involved in and related to the use of computer technology, the misuse of accounting information, and employment issues of women and other minority groups.
The following includes a list of courses that are required to qualify for an Academic Subject Certificate in Business from Windward Community College. 24 credits total.
- ACC 201 - Introduction to Financial Accounting
- ACC 202 - Introduction to Managerial Accounting
- ECON 130 - Principles of Economics (Microeconomics)
- ECON 131 - Principles of Economics (Macroeconomics)
- ENG 100 - Expository Writing
- ENG 209 - Business Writing
- ICS 101 - Tools for the Information Age
- SP 151 - Personal and Public Speech or SP 251 - Principles of Effective Speaking