For more information, contact Letty Colmenares
Windward Community College
Department of Natural Sciences
45-720 Kea‘ahala Rd
Kaneohe, HI 96744
Windward Community College’s Associate in Science in Natural Science is available starting in Fall 2013.
The Associate in Science in Natural Science will be a transfer degree designed for students pursuing STEM-related educational and career goals. The courses are designed to prepare students to transfer into science programs at UH-Manoa, UH-Hilo, and UH-West O‘ahu.
After completing the program, students will be able to:
- Analyze data effectively using the most currently available technology
- Communicate scientific ideas and principles clearly and effectively
- Analyze and apply fundamental mathematical, physical, and chemical concepts and techniques to scientific issues
- Apply fundamental concepts and techniques in their chosen field of study, such as biology, chemistry, geology, engineering, etc.
Two Writing Intensive (WI) classes
3 credits of Written Communication (FW)
6 credits of Global and Multicultural Perspectives (FG)
- FGA - HIST 151: World Civilization I
- FGB - HIST 152: World Civilization II
- FGC - REL 150: Introduction to World's Major Religions (if taken at Windward CC Fall 2008 or later)
3 credits of Symbolic Reasoning (FS)
- The requirement will be fulfilled by the MATH requirement in the concentration
3 credits of Humanities and Language Diversification (DA, DH, or DL)
3 credits of Social Sciences (DS)
3 credits in Natural Sciences (DB or DP)
The Associate of Science in Natural Science has two concentrations: one in Biological Science and one in Physical Science.
Natural Science Electives
Natural Science electives: required a minimum of 6 credits of transfer-level Natural Sciences courses (DP, DB, DY).
Students pursuing the Physical Sciences concentration must take at least one biological science course as one of their Natural Science electives.
General electives: transfer-level courses in any field to achieve a total of 60 credits.
Students are encouraged to take electives that will prepare them for their major.
The issuance of an AS degree requires that the student earn a grade point ratio (GPR) of 2.0 or higher for all courses applied towards the degree.